Fidel Castro was an egalitarian revolutionary who led the overthrow of a fascist dictatorship, inspired progressive politics across the world, survived hundreds of assassination attempts and introuced world-class, free education and healthcare.
Fidel Castro was an authoritarian dictator who executed political opponents, jailed dissidents and established a one-party state in his homeland. Not for nothing did Nelson Mandela, the darling icon of liberals the world over, count Fidel as a lifelong friend and ally. After all, while the US, UK and a host of other capitalist democracies were happily trading and supporting supporting the barbaric racism of Apartheid South Africa, Fidel championed Mandela and the African National Congress ANC in their struggle against the regime by sending Cuban soldiers to fight and eventually defeat Apartheid forces in neighbouring Angola.
You are here
Instead it was pushed by a combination of US hostility and basic economic necessity towards the Soviet bloc, meaning Castro soon declared himself and the Revolution to be Communist as he had not before winning power. On the island itself, Castro imprisoned dissidents and those who opposed the Communist dictatorship he eventually established. Whatever the socialist utopia is supposed to look like, it surely should not include such blatant violations of free expression.
According to the United Nations and World Health Organization WHO , Cuba has among the best education and healthcare systems in the world, despite being among the poorest countries in the Western hemisphere, and these world-class and essential services are free for all Cubans as they are not in many more wealthy capitalist countries. About Advertise with us.
5 things we should all remember about Fidel castro’s impact on Cuba - Matador Network
Trending Countries. South Africa. Costa Rica. Trending Cities. Mexico City. Buenos Aires. Dallas-Fort Worth.
- Linguistic Fieldwork;
- Death and state funeral of Fidel Castro - Wikipedia!
- On the Move to Meaningful Internet Systems: OTM 2010 Workshops: Confederated International Workshops and Posters: International Workshops: AVYTAT, ADI, DATAVIEW, EI2N, ISDE, MONET, OnToContent, ORM, P2P-CDVE, SeDeS, SWWS and OTMA. Hersonissos, Crete, Gree;
- Practical Aspects of Declarative Languages: 8th International Symposium, PADL 2006, Charleston, SC, USA, January 9-10, 2006. Proceedings?
Photo: Marcelo Montecino. Posted In.
- See a Problem?!
- How should history remember Fidel Castro? - HistoryExtra.
- Politics or Markets?: Essays on Haitian Underdevelopment!